I’d always notice the historic homes in Natchez Mississippi, but had never actually toured any of them during my more that twenty years of living there from birth. In January of 2013, that all changed when I visited the Auburn to partake in wedding photos for my sister’s wedding. Even though I was limited by time and obligations, I was able to do an impromptu self tour of the buildings exterior and parts of the first floor interior.
My interest drew the attention of Clark Feiser, President of the Auburn Antebellum Home. He suggested that I come back when time permitted so I can get a full tour along with the history of the home. So, I traveled back to my native in June of 2013 to do just that.
According to history, the Auburn was the first house in the Mississippi area where any of the orders of architecture (Tuscan, Doric, Ionic, Corinthian and Composite) were attempted. The home was designed by architect Levi Weeks and construction was completed in 1812.
The tour was educational and interesting as I shared in it with my three kids and my mother. African-Americans will be surprised by the homes history in terms of the slaves and the Duncan family (no relation) who own this home until it was donated to Natchez in 1911.
I had the opportunity to take photos including the rare free-standing wooden spiral staircase. You can see my pics below. While my pictures give you a glimpse of the homes architectural beauty, there is nothing like being there and witnessing it for yourself.
If you are ever in Natchez, Mississippi, or plan to visit in the future, make time to visit the Auburn Antebellum Home at 400 Duncan Avenue and tell Clark Feiser that I sent you!
For more information on the Auburn, visit their website at www.auburnmuseum.org.
Enjoy the photos below…
Professional Building Designer and owner Design Evolutions Inc., GA, specializing in residential design. Visit online at http://www.designevolutions.com
- What You Should Know Befo... 35 views
- Get a custom closet on a ... 34 views
- New House Plans to Begin ... 23 views
- Why Look at a House Floor... 20 views
- 96 square foot house R... 14 views
- A Pergola or Arbor Offers... 13 views
- Home Office Nook: Taking ... 12 views
- Tubular Skylights: Natura... 11 views
- Floor Plan Layout –... 10 views
- Choosing a Staircase Desi... 8 views
- Spring Savings On All House Plans
- Narrow Lot Italianate Home Plan
- Home Office Nook: Taking Care of Business
- Bonus Room Ideas Infographic
- Sizing Your Garage For Optimal Usage
- Dining Areas Can Eat Up Valuable Square Footage In Your Home Design
- Designing a Roof Plan For A House
- Qualities Indicative of Good House Design
- What You Should Know Before Buying Land For Your Home
- Laundry Room Location In Home Designs
Featured Stock Plan
Total Sq Ft: 2,880
Dim: 69'-8" x 83'-10"