The busy season for building homes can back your local building department up for weeks with an influx of plan submissions. So, it is important to plan ahead in terms of scheduling your home building project. Contact the building department to verify everything that is to accompany your set of house plans. This will likely require items in addition to a stock plan or a custom design. If you are buying a stock house plan, you can purchase it in a matter of days because the lead time is rather short in this case. If you need house plan modifications, give yourself a few weeks to have these changes done and ready for when you need to submit. If you are doing a set of custom home plans, give yourself a few months ahead of your planned construction start date.
Obtaining a building permit to build a home is not easy to predict. There are times where you can submit your house plans and be issued a permit in a matter of days. However, the more common time frame would be at least one to two weeks on average. Depending on when you are planning to build your home, the time it takes to receive a permit can be as long as four weeks or more. This is all determined by the pace of building activity and how that affects your local building department.
The time of year in which you request a building permit play the biggest role in when you get your permit. Construction, like any other industry, has its peak and slow periods. As a general rule, ascending to the peak period begins in the early spring. This period extends through the summer and well into the fall before home construction tends to slow down in the winter months. If you keep this trend in mind, you can plan out the steps that you will need to take in order get your building permits in a timely manner.
There are times when the process can drag out much longer than you had hope. For instance, your application may be determined to be incomplete, your plans might need additional details, or engineering of some sort may be needed to satisfy the requirements of the local building codes. This is not a frequent hang-up, but it can push the approval of your building permit application back by days or even weeks. This is why it is suggested that you contact your building department to find out all of the requirements in advance.
We can never know for sure how long the permit process will take. But you can take measures to shorten the process. To ensure a quick turn-around, you should find out what is required in advance, adhere to those requirements, and plan for this time in the lead up to your construction date. Following these steps you can get building permits to build a home in the shortest time possible.
Professional Building Designer and owner Design Evolutions Inc., GA, specializing in residential design. Visit online at http://www.designevolutions.com
- Get a custom closet on a ... 29 views
- Why Look at a House Floor... 24 views
- Touring The Auburn Museum... 17 views
- A Pergola or Arbor Offers... 14 views
- New House Plans to Begin ... 12 views
- What You Should Know Befo... 11 views
- Grading Prepared for Land... 10 views
- New Exterior Trim Makes A... 10 views
- Home Office Nook: Taking ... 8 views
- Aquatic’s New Cooper Bath... 8 views
- Spring Savings On All House Plans
- Narrow Lot Italianate Home Plan
- Home Office Nook: Taking Care of Business
- Bonus Room Ideas Infographic
- Sizing Your Garage For Optimal Usage
- Dining Areas Can Eat Up Valuable Square Footage In Your Home Design
- Designing a Roof Plan For A House
- Qualities Indicative of Good House Design
- What You Should Know Before Buying Land For Your Home
- Laundry Room Location In Home Designs
Featured Stock Plan
Total Sq Ft: 2,880
Dim: 69'-8" x 83'-10"