Over the years of selling stock house plans online, I have been asked dozens of questions about different concerns prior to a client making a plan purchase. Some of these questions are straight forward and require simple answers to satisfy the customer. Others are a little more in depth and requires a broader explanation which can lead to more questions or confusion.
The answers are pretty common to a Building Designer like myself. Sometimes I am made aware that common knowledge to me is not common to the average homeowner. And while homeowners have become more savvy, there will ultimately be a question that will arise.
As stated above, I have been questioned on dozens of things about stock house plans. A few questions tend to appear more frequent than others. Frequency may vary but they are all recurring. In this issue I will address what may be considered the most frequently asked of all the questions.
How much will it cost to build the “insert plan name here” ?
This may not be the first question that presents itself but it surely is one of the most asked. Usually, customers shopping for house plans find a home design that they fall in love with and want nothing more than to build that home for themselves. So naturally the cost to build this dream home becomes an underlying question. On impulse, the designer is called or emailed with that very question. My response to this question remains the same then, now, and in the future.
Unfortunately I cannot provide you a figure on what it would cost to build the “insert plan name here”. This is a question that is best addressed by your builder as the price can and do vary widely based on labor cost, material cost, and a host of other things. I would suggest that you print a copy of the floor plan and elevation to show your builder. He can then evaluate the plan and give you a general estimate based on the cost per square foot and the finishes you would like.
The cost to build question is a variable that can change overnight. Identical homes built just months or weeks apart can have a huge difference in price. This difference in price can span many thousands of dollars or more. Builders are best equipped to deal with this issue as they are the people who deal with the associated cost on a daily basis.
Professional Building Designer and owner Design Evolutions Inc., GA, specializing in residential design. Visit online at http://www.designevolutions.com
- Narrow Lot Italianate Home Plan
- Home Office Nook: Taking Care of Business
- Bonus Room Ideas Infographic
- Sizing Your Garage For Optimal Usage
- Dining Areas Can Eat Up Valuable Square Footage In Your Home Design
- Designing a Roof Plan For A House
- Qualities Indicative of Good House Design
- What You Should Know Before Buying Land For Your Home
- Laundry Room Location In Home Designs
- Choosing a Staircase Design For Your Floor Plan
- Touring The Auburn Museum… 207 views
- 96 square foot house – Co… 195 views
- New House Plans to Begin … 189 views
- Get a custom closet on a … 161 views
- Adding Water To Your Home… 111 views
- Plan BP12003 – Home Under… 105 views
- Narrow Lot Italianate Hom… 101 views
- Home Building Plan, The B… 91 views
- Why Look at a House Floor… 87 views
- Home Office Nook: Taking … 80 views