Many people who are in the market to build a new home find a perfect answer in stock house plans. On the other hand, there are others out there who want a custom floor plan design layout and need the services of a design professional. Choosing this route requires a little investigating to decide who will be the person you put faith in, to complete the home design of your dream home. At this point you must be wondering how to decide on a home designer to design your home? Should you use an Architect or a building Designer? I will attempt to help you answer these questions by knowing what to ask these professionals.
Before you do anything, you must first check with co-workers, friends, and family to get as many referrals as possible. This is an excellent starting point! In addition to referrals, consider browsing the phone book yellow pages for Architects, Building Designers, or Residential Designers. These titles may be different in your area but should get you started on the right path. Finally, consider searching the web for local architectural design firms. If a local designer is not available, consider working with a design professional who is outside of your state.
When you narrow down your choices for a design professional, it is then time to schedule appointments for one on one consultations. As far as the consultation is concerned, you should focus on a few important aspects with each design candidate. Don’t worry about which question comes first just make sure that you ask and get an answer that you can feel good about.
1. Ask the building designer about their experiences and time within the home design field.
2. Ask to see samples of previous works. (a sample plan set, pictures of built designs, etc.)
3. Find out if your local county or state requires an Architect stamp on the drawings.
4. See if they have any references. In addition to what is provided by the designer, check online for more reviews that may have been posted by other clients.
5. Inquire about professional organizations they may be a part of.
6. Does the designer actively seek continuing education in their field of work? In most cases this answer is usually a yes given the fact that architects and designers have to stay current with codes and new products in order to stay ahead.
7. See if the designer has a contract agreement in reference to their house plan design services.
8. What will it cost? Do not disregard that looming question. Be aware of what is expected in design fees associated with the design services. (Note: Prepare yourself with some basic information about house plan design services and related cost before talking with a design professional so as to have an idea on your budget for these services.) The cost can vary and so does the experiences and talent level.
There are likely to be more questions that you will have, but the aforementioned are critical in helping you make a choice on who you should hire. Be mindful of the fact that you will spend several weeks or months working with this design professional. Choose someone who you will feel relaxed around and who will feel comfortable working with you.
Professional Building Designer and owner Design Evolutions Inc., GA, specializing in residential design. Visit online at http://www.designevolutions.com
- Get a custom closet on a ... 34 views
- Why Look at a House Floor... 25 views
- Touring The Auburn Museum... 14 views
- New House Plans to Begin ... 12 views
- A Pergola or Arbor Offers... 12 views
- What You Should Know Befo... 11 views
- Aquatic’s New Cooper Bath... 9 views
- New Exterior Trim Makes A... 9 views
- Grading Prepared for Land... 8 views
- Home Office Nook: Taking ... 8 views
- Spring Savings On All House Plans
- Narrow Lot Italianate Home Plan
- Home Office Nook: Taking Care of Business
- Bonus Room Ideas Infographic
- Sizing Your Garage For Optimal Usage
- Dining Areas Can Eat Up Valuable Square Footage In Your Home Design
- Designing a Roof Plan For A House
- Qualities Indicative of Good House Design
- What You Should Know Before Buying Land For Your Home
- Laundry Room Location In Home Designs
Featured Stock Plan
Total Sq Ft: 2,880
Dim: 69'-8" x 83'-10"